- While technology is continuously improving living standards, they could also increase threats. Ethical and security implications of some S&T developments are needed to be assessed for their safe developments for the benefit of society. | Related Megatrends: Inequalities; Security
- Foresight and creativity methods and dialogues with technology experts could be used to assess future potential malicious use of new technologies.
- Funding of R&D for societal needs could be on parity with funding for weapons.
- Networks of CDC-like centers could be created to counter impacts of bioterrorism, and agreement should be reached on enforcement mechanisms for the Biological Weapons Convention;
- Lethal autonomous weapons systems (LAWS) could be included under the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW) to avoid their misuse and the third revolution in warfare;
- Technological transfer to emerging geopolitical powers (e.g. China) could be conditioned by respect of peaceful-use requirements;
| Related Megatrend: Security
Focus of policy should switch from primarily economic to socio-economic, as the scope and spectrum of digitalization expands and affects most sectors and activities. With increasing demographic imbalances, retirement and fiscal...
Synergies among engineering, physical sciences, computation, and life sciences are revolutionising medicine and health – advancing techniques to regenerate lost limbs and replace malfunctioning...