- Increasing synergies among synthetic biology, nanotechnology, 3D&4D printing, robotics, and the advent of AI, quantum computing, collective intelligence and yet to emerge technologies will make the past 25 years seem slow compared to the next 25 years.
- Most of the grand challenges we'll face by 2050 are technology-related, including: genetic modification of humans, safe car travel (self-driving or not), settling other worlds (space travel), boosted brainpower, and AI’s dominance in our lives.
- Convergence of knowledge and technology for the benefit of society (CKTS) is the next stage.
- Per capita energy demand could peak before 2030, due to increased efficiency enabled by new technologies and stricter energy policies. | Related Megatrends: Natural resources; Consumerism
- Technological breakthroughs are needed for achieving carbon neutrality by 2050. Some technological solutions and initiatives are already either under development or even ready for the market -- raging from bio-enhancing materials that can merge with the
natural environment, to energy distribution and transmission technologies and virtual power-plants.
- Frontiers of sciences are expanding – understanding of time, multidimensions, multiverse, teleportation, and of life itself. (e.g. the reversal of "arrow of time", multiverse, wearable technology, teleportation, and the list is expanding by the day).
- Teleportation, future-times camera and backwards time telegraph, which could be available in about 10 years, will transform our perception of time and space.
|Originally Published | Last Updated|
10 Sep 2018 | 18 Mar 2020
|Knowledge service | Metadata||Foresight |The Megatrends Hub |Accelerating technological change and hyperconnectivity|
|Digital Europa Thesaurus (DET)||aerospace industryclimate changedigital technologyfossil fuelgreen economynatural resourcesnew technologyrenewable energysolar energyspace policyspace research|
Eurostat released a new interactive visualisation tool showing statistics relevant for the European Green Deal, which is one of the 6 European Commission priorities for...
While scarcity of resources is still a threat, we also have generativity of new ideas, technologies and alternative resources. The interplay of energy security and markets, technologies and policies...