Skip to main content
Knowledge4Policy
KNOWLEDGE FOR POLICY

Knowledge Centre for Bioeconomy

We enhance the knowledge base for policymaking on the bioeconomy.

Topic / Tool | Last updated: 28 Jun 2021

Agricultural biomass

Dig into data, visualisations and other resources on agricultural biomass in the EU: how much biomass is produced? What types and where? And much more!

Brief me

Agricultural biomass production within a sustainable and circular Bioeconomy

  • Agriculture has a central role among the biomass producing sectors, providing valuable sources for the EU bioeconomy.
  • Each year, an estimated 956 million tonnes (Mt) of agricultural biomass are produced in the European Union.
  • 54% are primary products, such as grains, fruits, roots and tubers. The remaining 46% are residues, such as leaves and stems.
  • Cereals are the crop contributing the most to both economic and residue production in the EU, with a share of 50% and 74% respectively.
  • A sufficient amount of residues needs to be left on fields to sustain soil conservation and biodiversity, making it challenging to quantify the residues available for competitive uses.
  • More in general, uncertainties associated with residue production estimates are relatively large.

 

Find out more in the brief and explore further other resources!

Brief on agricultural biomass production
English
(file)
Download

Explore further

Main crops and crop groups contributing to agricultural biomass production

Compare the amount of agricultural biomass (economic production and residues) produced by crop group and specific crop.

Agricultural biomass production per Member State

Discover which Member States produce the largest amount of agricultural biomass (economic production and residues) by crop group and specific crop.

Spatial distribution of biomass production

Zoom in to explore, pixel by pixel, the spatial distribution of agricultural residue production in the EU.

Biomass Flows

Explore the supply and use of agricultural, forestry and fisheries biomass in the EU.

Research projects on agricultural biomass

Discover research projects on agricultural biomass since 1996 and the organisations involved.

OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2021-2030

Learn about projections for supply and demand of agricultural commodities.

The State of Food and Agriculture 2019 (SOFA)

Take a look at the new estimates of world's food loss from production up to retail.

Biomass Glossary

Find definitions of biomass related terms.

The JRC Biomass Mandate

Learn about the long-term provision of data and analysis on biomass supply and demand by the JRC.

Agricultural biomass: more resources

Access information from multiple sources on agricultural biomass.

Latest knowledge