The EU research - policy link EXPLORER (TIM dashboard) is a knowledge management tool to help contextualize and identify links between EU funded research and specific policy goals. Users can identify and cluster EU funded research projects based on thematic content according to three perspectives:
- EU funded research and biodiversity policies, to support the implementation of the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030 and each of its four pillars
- EU funded research and cross-policies, to help mainstream biodiversity into other sectoral policies
- EU funded research and thematic insights, to tackle a specific policy driven biodiversity element.
Data have been retrieved from the metadata files available from the CORDIS database (using a conditional keyword search string) by the Tools for Innovation Monitoring System (TIM) developed by the JRC. The retrieved clusters of projects are visualized according to three main lenses:
- List, temporal and geographical profiles of relevant projects with active links and budget
- Partnerships and collaborative networks across countries, regions and organizations
- Thematic clusters of automatically derived keywords based on their frequency and interlinkages.
Currently, the TIM dashboard provides links to the quality checked projects’ lists (datasets) for the following pre-set search queries featuring:
- The EU Biodiversity Strategy
- Each of its four pillars: Protect Nature, Restore Ecosystems, Transformative Change and EU as a Global Leader
- The cross-policy topic "Biodiversity and Health".
The selection of results was limited to FP7 and Horizon 2020 projects, and for each query the best performing keyword string is given. For more details on how to navigate the datasets and interpret the results, please refer to the TIM dashboard manual specific to the Knowledge Centre for Biodiversity (KCBD).
More details on this study regarding the methodology and the results of the above mentioned search queries can be found in the full report and/or the executive summary published recently.
Data and Bibliometric analysis tool
|The Community Research and Development Information Service (CORDIS) is the European Commission’ primary source of information from EU funded Research projects under the EU's Framework Programmes for Research and Innovation (FP1 to FP7, and “Horizon 2020”; next to be included “Horizon Europe”). CORDIS enables conducting search queries with very simple syntax that may result insufficient to address interlinkages with policy domains.|
|The Tools for Innovation Monitoring (TIM) developed by the JRC's Competence Centre on Text Mining and Analysis can complement CORDIS derived information. The TIM tool is a web application for bibliometric data analysis, that also provides temporal and geographical filters as well as network visualisation and analyses for partnerships and for thematic content.|
Explore research-biodiversity policy linkages
Explore EU research - cross-policy linkages