Strengthening Africa-EU collaboration in research and innovation (R&I), and providing equitable access to research funding for applicants from across Africa and Europe.
The new Annex signed falls under a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the European Commission and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) from April 2014, which lays the basis for strengthened cooperation between the two partners at global and regional levels.
The partners look to reinforce existing synergies and introduce fresh areas of action in light of developments in the global environmental agenda, including the European Green Deal.
The five chapters identify how to:
1. Improve the science-policy interface and international environmental governance
2. Enhance climate resilience and climate neutrality with a focus on sustainable energy
3. Promote healthy and productive ecosystems
4. Scale up the circular economy and resource efficiency
5. Work towards a pollution-free planet and better health
It builds on, and looks to extend, the existing close collaboration to address the environmental challenges and advance the sustainability agenda through the EC-UNEP strategic Framework Agreements and programmatic cooperation.
The partners underscore the need to mobilise all areas of society to achieve a green-digital transition towards a sustainable future.
This work aims to develop recommendations and propose emerging reporting requirements for the update of the monitoring programmes pursuant to MSFD Article 17. Such recommendations will enhance...