This Guidance Note on Food Fortification provides a rationale for food fortification measures in the EU development cooperation and offers suggestions on how such measures can be integrated into sectorial programmes. It is intended to support the European Commission's Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development and in particular Agriculture and Food/Nutrition Security Heads of Sectors and Focal Points in the EU Delegations.
This guidance gives quick access to essential information on:
• The global problem and consequences of micronutrient deficiencies
• Potential partnerships to implement food fortification programmes
• How food fortification fits into EU priorities
• The place of food fortification in sustainable food systems and in promoting local food producing small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
• Practical suggestions to integrate food fortification into sectorial support.