Skip to main content
Glossary item | 3 July 2018

Utilised agricultural area

It is the total area taken up by arable land, permanent grassland, permanent crops and kitchen gardens used by the holdings, regardless of the type of tenure or whether it is used as common land.

EU, 2009a, Regulation (EC) No 543/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 June 2009 concerning crop statistics and repealing Council Regulations (EEC) No 837/90 and (EEC) No 959/93, OJ L167, 29.06.2009, pp. 1-11.

Source category: EU Legislation

It is the total area used for crop production, which is exhaustively described as: Arable land including temporary grassing and fallow and green manure, permanent grassland, land under permanent crops (e.g. fruit and grapes), crops under glass and other utilised agricultural areas.

Eurostat a, Eurostat's Concepts and Definitions Database, ( accessed 19 March 2015.

Source category: EC Technical Documents

Recommended reading