- 90% of all health R&D expenditure is targeted at problems that affect only 10% of the world’s population.
| Related Megatrends: Inequalities; Technology
- About 20% of health expenditure makes no or minimal contribution to good health outcomes.
- The area of cardiovascular diseases, which account for 11% of the global burden of disease, received 179 new drugs (13% of total) in the past 25 years.
- Concentration of pharmaceutical power: three companies encompassed about half of all cancer drug sales in 2013.
- Pharmaceutical industry began a shift in focus towards pharmatech, genetics and immunotherapy.
- Nearly 100 million people fall into extreme poverty each year because of health expenses.
| Related Megatrends: Inequalities; Geopower
- Since 2000, only five new classes of antibiotics have been put on the market; none of them targets the deadliest bacteria. Up to 70% of antibiotics are given to animals, often for no other reason than to make them grow more quickly.)
| Related Megatrends: Consumerism; Inequalities; Technology