Skip to main content
Knowledge Service

Knowledge Centre for Bioeconomy

We enhance the knowledge base for policymaking on the bioeconomy.

Page

The bioeconomy in different countries: Strategies & Initiatives – background information

Bioeconomy

Introduction

In 2017, the Joint Research Centre (JRC) - as coordinator of the European Commission's Knowledge Centre for Bioeconomy - in collaboration with the Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) and the International Energy Agency Bioenergy (IEA-Bioenergy), undertook a survey research to compile information on bioeconomy policy instruments and their implementation at the national level.

The outcome of that survey had been presented in a dashboard, a joint report published in 2018, complemented by reports published individually by the IEA and the BBI-JU.

As a contribution to the Knowledge Centre, the JRC conducted a follow-up survey in 2019 to update the information shown in the dashboard with the latest developments on bioeconomy policy in European countries and beyond.

This page explains briefly the methodology followed to update the dashboard.

Methodology

Joint Survey 2019

The template

The 2019 questionnaire was structured along 6 sections:

  1. Personal information
  2. National bioeconomy definition and scope
  3. National institutions
  4. BBI-SRG section on stakeholders, strategies and funding programmes and projects and infrastructures to develop technologies
  5. IEA Bioenergy - Task 42 section on biorefineries

The template was pre-filled with the information gathered from the 2017 edition of the joint survey as well as updates from desk research. The goal was to facilitate the regular compilation of information and to focus on the new developments in each country. 

The questionnaire was sent to bioeconomy experts from the different organisations involved (i.e. Standing Committee on Agricultural Research - SCAR, BBI-JU Member State Representatives and IEA-Bioenergy Task 42 Biorefining) with the suggestion to cooperate amongst them and submit one coordinated answer. 

The contacted experts, in turn, shared the pre-filled template with other peers, which acted as a "snowball effect" helping to enrich the information compiled and outreach of the survey.

Graphic of snowball effect

Participation

In the first stage, the template was sent, in total, to 265 experts from 36 countries. The number of actual participating experts was eventually 101, involving 78 different organisations, with an average of 6.6 experts per country. The involved organisations were very diverse: National Ministries (31%) and other governmental organisations (11%), Research Institutions (25%), Universities and Academia (10%), Agencies (8%) and others (15%). 

Out of all the templates received, 88% were coordinated answers (submitted by 2 or more experts per country), while the remaining 12% were questionnaires submitted individually (for 3 countries more than one individual questionnaire were received).

Desk Research

The desk research was conducted in two steps: i) prior to the launch of the 2019 survey in order to complete the pre-filled templates and ii) after all questionnaires were submitted in order to harmonise the information across countries and to complete the information provided.

Firstly, the research was mainly based on information coming from official sites on the internet in order to identify the relevant stakeholders at the national level, its classification within broad categories (e.g. Innovation networks, Research Institutes, Public-Private Partnerships, etc.) and their role in the development of the national or regional bioeconomy.

Secondly, the information on bioecononomy definitions, goals, sectors included, etc. were extracted from the official and adopted Bioeconomy Strategies at national level.

Thirdly, additional information from relevant reports and publications was also compiled and incorporated in the dashboard, namely:

Validation

A validation process was conducted after the compilation and harmonisation of all the information gathered: experts were contacted again to correct and update any missing information.

Following this validation process, the information for 13 countries was updated and validated by the experts.  

Interactive Dashboard

As an outcome of the joint survey 2017, the joint survey 2019 and desk research, an interactive dashboard was built. It provides information and links to the main institutions dealing with the bioeconomy in the specific country, the definition of the bioeconomy and information on the strategies at the national, regional and macro-regional level.

The following figure shows the source of information for each country.

Source of the information by country

Results

The updated information can be consulted in the online interactive dashboard.  

Follow-up

Should any user of the dashboard identify any error or omission, please send us an email to Knowledge Centre for Bioeconomy